My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I am the second oldest of a big family. I am a extreme teen for Christ. I love writing and would love to help teens through my writing. I feel like I have a lot to share with those teens that tend to be forgotten, those average christian teens! I also have a good sense of humor heehee. (sometimes)

Sunday, January 06, 2008

WorryWart- More about Kate's

OK so here is some more of Worrywart and what has been going on at Kate's Jewelery Emporium. There is lots of fun in this conversation between Kate and Rori's mom. In case you haven't read yet, Rori is a 6 year old girl who loves to worry. Right now she is preparing for her older sister Jamie's 13th birthday party. If you want to read the beginning of Worrywart check out my previous posts entitled A new story and another dose of Worrywart.
Enjoy!
I got out of the car and looked up at Kate’s. Kate’s is one of the fanciest places in town, maybe even in the whole world. The front of it reminded me of a palace with a red carpet that led up the steps and huge gold rails on either side. This led to huge double doors with pretty glass in the shape of a diamond. Inside the store was tons of shiny glass shelves and locked display cases filled with Kate’s fancy jewelry. The carpet was black and extra soft, not a speck of the PBJ stains that are carpet has. The walls were red or as Mommy call’s it “Scarlet”. There were a bunch of pretty, colorful paintings of ladies wearing jewelry.
Kate is English, which is a word that means she is really fancy. Whenever Mom and I came to see her, she was dresses in long elegant dresses; never Jeans like Mommy usually wears. She talks very proper and her voice sounds different than anyone else’s voice I had heard, pretty but different sounding. I guess that is what proper people sound like. Most of the kids think she is a mean lady because she doesn’t like kids in her store, but that’s not true. She is actually really nice. My Mom knows her from when she was younger a long time ago, and she lived in England, where Kate is from. So Kate was always nice to me and to my sister Jamie. Also Kate tells us the reason she also is nicer to us is because we obey the rules and listen to what she says. I guess other kids don’t know how or something. Sometimes she even lets me try on Jewelry, only the beady stuff, but it is still fun.
But the absolutely best part about going to Kate’s is that she has a back room filled with English England stuff. Well her and Mommy talk and drink tea, am I free to look around back there and play with all the stuff. It was so fun!!
“Good Morning my dears, what a pleasure to see you both. How do you do?” Kate said as she came out the back to greet us. Kate always dressed very fancy and today she was wearing long black dress that I noticed was really soft when I gave her a hug. It didn’t have any sleeves, which I guess makes since because it was the middle of summer. She was also wearing matching necklace and earrings that had little white beads. Kate always wears jewelry, I think she has too because she owns a jewelry place, like it is a law or something.
“Please, please come to the back with me. I could certainly use a break and a nice cup of ice tea,” Kate said walking over to lock he front door. That was another cool thing, Mom and I were the only ones allowed in here when the door was locked.
The three of us headed to the back room to drink our ice tea. Kate poured us each a tall glass; of course mine was only half full (that way if I spill there will be less mess.) I added a bunch of sugar to mine because I like sugar but I don’t like ice tea. I was just putting in my third big scoop when Mom gave me that look. She didn’t have to tell me, I knew that look meant I needed to stop. So I sat back down (before I was on my knees so that I could reach the bowl in the middle of the table) and I stirred my ice tea.
“So what brings you wonderful ladies to my fabulous store today?” Kate asked swinging her arms out all around her as she spoke, than went back to stirring her tea delicately. Kate was a funny lady, sometimes she was so proper, but other times she was so hyper. She would use big words and swing her arms around, than she would go back to being proper. I loved to watch her because you never knew what she was going to do.
“We are here to get a present for Jamie,” Mom answered.
“Yeah something really, really pretty,” I added. Kate smiled at me and than turned her attention back to Mom.
“Oh yes, that’s right, it is Jamie’s 13th birthday tomorrow isn’t it?” Kate said, quickly putting her hand on her chest. I wondered why she did that. Did the shock of remembering Jamie’s birthday making her heart beat different or did it make her heart do a funny dance in? I imagined her heart doing the cha-cha and laughed quietly into my hand like Daddy does.
“Yes, her 13th, so obviously we want to get her something very special, being that it is such an important birthday,” Mom told Kate.
Lately everyone was saying that this was an important birthday for Jamie, and I wondered why. What was so important about this birthday? Why is it so different from all of Jamie’s other birthdays? I mean 13 is not that different from 6, only 7 years.
“Do you have any ideas Kate? Her Dad and I were thinking something like a charm bracelet or…”
Kate interrupted Mom mid-sentence and began flailing her arms around in a slashing motion in front of her. “No, No, No! Jamie is 13 now, she wants something more adult. A charm bracelet is so childish. I mean she is no longer a child, she needs a gift that says Welcome to Womanhood” Kate finished, swinging her arms out wide in front of her to emphasize the word Womanhood. I laughed quietly in my hand again, although I don’t think it was very quite because turned to look at me and roll her eyes. I could tell she thought that Kate’s crazy arms were funny too.
“Now Kate, she is still a child. I mean certainly she is older, but still definitely a child. We don’t want anything to extravagant,” Mom said, in a voice that was trying hard not to show her amusement.
“Oh pish-posh now Helen, don’t you remember when you were 13? Not to mention, Jamie has always been wise beyond her age and more mature that all the kids in her class. I mean think about last year when all the girls were swooning over that Jessie Carter or Aaron McCartney, whoever he was. Jamie stayed perfectly level headed. For Jamie her 13th birthday might as well be her 17th birthday with the way that girl acts. She needs and deserves extravagant.” Kate said, with more arm gestures than I could count.
Mom sighed and rubber her forehead, a sure sign that trouble was brewing. Mom turned to me and gave me a weak smile. I smile back at her, showing her I was there for support.
“Rori honey, why don’t you go to the back room and play know. I will come and get you when it is time to pick out Jamie’s present.”
I knew Mom was just trying to get rid of me, but I didn’t mind. My ice tea was gross and all the ice cubes had either been eaten or melted. Plus I really want to go and play with all of Kate’s fun collection.
“Sure Mommy,” I said and I got up and walked towards the back room. Kate barely even noticed I had left and began right on talking to mom as if the conversation had never stopped. As I turned down the hall I could hear her “Now Helen really…”
I walked faster.

Well that is all I have for now bros and sisses, but I will definitely post more later. I already have it written in my notebook I just have to type it up. Keep reading to find out what Jamie gets for her birthday and what the White's fun birthday tradition is.
God Bless from your big sis!
Jessica

3 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

Lol! I loved that reference to Jessie McCartney! These are really cute, Jess! I didn't get a chance to read this one before and when you said that you'd posted a new one, I had to go and read this one first, lol.

Good story! You should think about getting some of these published, sis! I know that I'd buy a copy for when I get married and have kids.

God bless,
~Curtis~

6:16 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

LOL thanks I wondered if anyone would notice lol.
Oh I plan on getting them published and when you get married and have kids I will send you a signed copy!!
Jessica

7:54 PM  
Blogger Curtis said...

Yayayayay!

*grins wildly*

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home